For those of you who have been wondering what happened at the Masturbate-A-Thon in San Francisco it apparently attracted just 250 participants or so, including voyeurs. Most who went were men and the event was only saved from total male domination by Lady Grace (pictured) and a small number of other female participants. This year the whole thing was streamed live on the internet, but whether or not it did much to dispel the taboo about masturbation remains to be seen. The Masturbate-A-Thon aims to make a serious point but it seems to be failing if this piece of journalism is anything to go by http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/06/masturbate-a-thon_2010.php. Still, any publicity is good publicity, I suppose.
May, if you didn’t know it, is Masturbation Month and today (25th May) is the Masturbate-A-Thon at San Francisco’s Center for Sex and Culture. The event will raise money for charity but the main purpose is to get people talking about masturbation in an open, relaxed, guilt-free way. You get people to pledge a certain amount for every, say, minute or orgasm. The event runs from 7pm to 11pm with a special ‘women only’ area as well as a larger ‘all genders’ area. The organisers point out that the Masturbate-A-Thon also allows people to participate in group sex without risk. However if you’re not in San Francisco you can still participate at home, which is what most people will be doing. If you’d like more information go to http://masturbate-a-thon.com/
In my book Have Great Sex I listed plenty of reasons why everyone should masturbate as much as possible. Here they are (with slight variations according to gender):
- Masturbation teaches you how to orgasm/control orgasm
- Masturbation helps you become more responsive
- Masturbation teaches you about your own body
- Masturbation teaches you about your partner’s body (because men and women are far more similar than you might imagine)
- Masturbation lets you test techniques in private before getting together with your partner
- Masturbation provides sexual activity vital to mental and physical health when no partner is available
- Masturbation keeps your sexual organs in good working order
- Masturbation releases tension
- Masturbation is readily available
- Masturbation is free
- Masturbation is safe
- Masturbation is good for the prostate (men only)
- Masturbation can relieve period pains (women only)
- Masturbation releases pain-killing endorphins
- Masturbation makes you happy.
And, of course, you don’t have to masturbate on your own. You can do it with your partner and, as the Masturbate-A-Thon shows, you can do it in a group – there’s still a week of May to go. By the way, the masturbation record stands at close to 10 hours.